The original Corsham railway station, which opened in June 1841, served the town of Corsham via the Great Western Railway main line from London to Bristol.
The station was situated in a cutting to the south of the town, with the main station building at the top of the cutting on the town side. It consisted of two platforms, each featuring a small shelter and canopy. The Station Hotel was situated alongside the main station building, but was later demolished and used by a local coal merchant.
Passenger services were withdrawn from Corsham with the end of stopping services between Swindon and Bath in January 1965, with goods traffic having already ended in June of 1963.
Of the original station structures, only the goods shed now remains, though the footbridge is still in place as part of a footpath across the main line.
The campaign for a new railway station in Corsham has been gathering pace with the provisional business case made, the support of many stakeholders and a clear opportunity to bring it to reality.